Buffalo Chicken Pizza
If you’re a fan of all things Buffalo when it comes to food, you’ve got to try Buffalo Chicken Pizza! Pizza crust is topped with Frank’s hot sauce bechamel, mozzarella, shredded chicken, tomatoes and scallions. It’s incredibly flavorful, and always a hit for game day. It’s ready in 25 minutes!
Buffalo chicken is one of the ultimate flavor combinations for pizza, and is just as easy to make as a regular pizza. But instead of tomato sauce, we’ll be making a Frank’s bechamel. Bechamel sauce is what’s typically used for white pizza, so it has that wonderfully creamy base, but with a spicy flavor that’s classic in Buffalo Sauce. You can even make this pizza low carb and use the crust of this Fathead Pizza, if you desire.
Even though I have a Buffalo Wing Sauce that I absolutely love for Chicken Wings, I don’t recommend using that alone as the sauce. think it’s important that the sauce has more creaminess to it, so it’s sort of like a white sauce base.
As far as toppings go, know that you can simply do the buffalo bechamel sauce here with cheese on top and call it a day, but I like to add more toppings. I add shredded chicken to the top (I just toss this Crockpot Chicken Breast with some of the Frank’s bechamel), and also add tomatoes, scallions or red onion, and maybe some parsley if I feel like it. But these are all optional, and you may customize the toppings as you like.
Tips for Best Results
Use the correct sauce – For the best flavor, I recommend using Frank’s Red Hot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce. This is the original, authentic sauce, and though other brands have come up with their own versions, they don’t taste the same.
Parbake the pizza crust – This is ultimately personal preference, but I always parbake my pizza crust before putting on the sauce and toppings. This just means you cook the dough partially before topping it, which makes for a more thoroughly done and crispy crust.
Step by Step Overview:
It’s exactly like assembling any other pizza.
You take a pizza crust and top it with the Frank’s bechamel sauce, then cheese and any other toppings, like chicken, thick sliced tomatoes, and onion if you wish.
For the crust, you may use storebought dough, a storebought crust, or homemade dough here. I have two recipes for pizza dough on my site: Semolina Pizza Crust and Pizza Dough made with bread flour and whole wheat flour.
Here’s a video with the full process.
How to Serve
Serve the Buffalo Chicken Pizza while it’s piping hot, and if you like, you can add some blue cheese crumbles on top or a drizzle of ranch dressing. Personally I don’t do this, as I think the pizza becomes a little too busy, but it’s personal preference.
Recipe Tips and FAQ
Keep in the fridge for up to 5 days. I recommend placing pieces of parchment paper between slices to prevent sticking.
Yes, store in an airtight container for up to 3 months. I recommend placing pieces of parchment paper between slices to prevent sticking.
The oven is the best option. Place the slices in a 300F oven for 7-10 minutes, until warmed through and slightly crisp on the bottom. You may reheat straight from frozen as well, just add a few extra minutes to the reheating time. The microwave will also work, heated in 30 second intervals, but will make the crust soggy.
Did you enjoy the recipe? Please leave a 5-star rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page.
Buffalo Chicken Pizza
For the Buffalo Pizza Sauce:
- 1 tbsp butter (salted or unsalted)
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold milk
- 1/4 cup Frank’s hot sauce
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- ground cayenne pepper to taste and optional, if you want the sauce to be hotter*
- Make the sauce: In a skillet over medium high heat, melt the butter.
- Whisk in the flour and keep whisking until fully combined.
- Keeping the whisk moving and add the cold milk. Whisk the liquid until it is combined, and add the Frank’s hot sauce, worcestershire, and cayenne pepper, if using. Bring the mixture to a boil, and cook for a few minutes, until the sauce has thickened.
- Add a few spoonfuls of the Frank’s bechamel sauce you just made into the diced or shredded chicken, and toss to combine. This will prevent the chicken from drying out in the oven.
- Assemble the pizza: Spread the remainder of the sauce all over the pizza crust, then top with the cheese, sliced heirloom tomato, sauced chicken, and onion, if you desire.
- Bake at 450F for 10 minutes until the cheese has melted. Cut into slices and enjoy!
Nutrition is estimated using a food database and is only intended to be used as a guideline for informational purposes.
Post updated in November 2018. Originally published April 2013.