Puff Pastry Cheese Straws
These Puff Pastry Cheese Straws are perfect for a crowd-pleasing party appetizer. Flavored with Gruyere and Parmesan, they’re really easy to make and disappear in a flash!
This is pretty much the perfect party appetizer, combining two of the most glorious ingredients on earth into the ultimate finger food.
The puff pastry is flaky and buttery, and a combination of Gruyere and Parmigiano Reggiano cheeses gives the pastry sharp flavor.
Add these cheese twists to a cheese board to compliment an assortment of olives and fruits, or bake off a few trays and serve them as the main event appetizer.
Either way, it’s a total party win, not just because they’re delicious, but because they’re SO easy to make. I have a habit of loading up too much party prep onto my plate, so easy prep is always welcome.
Though I’ve selected gruyere and parmesan cheeses as my main flavors here, know that you can switch it up.
These puff pastry twists are one of the best ways to let cheese shine, and you could try other kinds of melty cheeses like havarti or cheddar.
How to Make Puff Pastry Cheese Straws:
Start by rolling out a sheet of puff pastry into a rectangle. Make sure to get the all-butter pastry, not the cheap one made with hydrogenated oil. I’ve made puff pastry myself from scratch, but I usually buy it frozen (I recommend Dufour brand).
Brush the pastry with egg wash:
Sprinkle the puff pastry lightly with cayenne pepper and paprika:
The cayenne adds a bit of spicy flavor, and the paprika adds a gorgeous color.
Now sprinkle plenty of freshly grated gruyere and parmesan cheese all over, pressing gently:
Cut the rectangle into long strips, using a knife or a pizza cutter:
Lay the strips on a sheet pan, then twist:
Bake until puffed and golden:
More Cheesy Appetizers:
Puff Pastry Cheese Straws
- 14 ounce box puff pastry (thawed from frozen)*
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 cup freshly grated gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- cayenne pepper**
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper if desired (it's not necessary, there is enough fat to prevent sticking).
- Roll out the puff pastry about 1/8 inch thick. Whisk the egg with the water and brush the puff pastry with the egg wash.
- Sprinkle the entire surface with the cheeses, cayenne, and paprika. Press the cheese and spices into the puff pastry.
- Cut the pastry into 3/4 inch thick strips using a pizza cutter or knife. Twist each strip and lay it on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and puffy. Enjoy!
Nutrition is estimated using a food database and is only intended to be used as a guideline for informational purposes.
Post updated in November 2019. Originally posted March 2011.