Stuffed Mushroom Caps
Baby bella mushrooms are filled with a garlic herb cheese mixture for this Stuffed Mushroom Caps appetizer. They’re great for parties, and easy to make!
Stuffed mushrooms are kind of funny, because does anyone go wild over a baby bella mushroom alone? Usually not.
But stuff it with cheese, bread crumbs, and herbs, and it’s one of the most popular appetizers of all. Serve it alongside a classic Italian Antipasto Platter and you have a great spread of food to enjoy.
The most fun part about stuffed mushroom caps is you can vary up the stuffing every time you make them.
I love adding browned Italian Sausage or crumbled bacon to take these up another notch, but they’re also wonderful kept vegetarian (which is how it’s published in the recipe below).
More than anything, I find the stuffed mushrooms to be most about the cheese, bread crumbs, and herbs, and the list of cheeses you can try is endless.
How to Make Stuffed Mushroom Caps:
In a large bowl, combined softened cream cheese, freshly grated parmigiano reggiano cheese, an egg, garlic, parsley, Italian bread crumbs, and smoked paprika:
Chipotle pepper is another great option for a smoky flavor.
Mix this all together until the ingredients are combined:
For stuffed mushrooms, I like to use baby bellas.
If you’re able to pick your own at the grocery store (sometimes they have them loose in bins), it’s advantageous to pick the larger ones.
It makes for a heartier bite, and you have less of them to stuff!
Remove the mushroom stems, then toss the mushroom caps in a bowl with olive oil, salt, and pepper:
Then stuff the filling evenly into all the mushrooms, keeping in mind that the stuffing will puff up a bit taller as it bakes, and the mushrooms will shrink:
I tend to roast my stuffed mushrooms on the longer side, until the mushroom caps have rid themselves of most of the water, and the filling on top is golden:
Stuffed Mushroom Caps
- 12 oz baby bella mushrooms
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup grated parmigiano reggiano
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup italian bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- If the mushrooms need cleaning, wipe any outside dirt off using a damp paper towel.
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms, then toss the mushroom caps with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, stir to combine the cream cheese, parmesan cheese, parsley, bread crumbs, egg, garlic, and smoked paprika.
- Stuff the filling evenly into all of the mushrooms.
- Bake the stuffed mushrooms on a sheet pan for about 20-25 minutes, until the mushrooms have shrunk down a bit and the stuffing is golden on top.
- Enjoy promptly, as the mushrooms will shrivel as they sit.
You can also use the mushroom stems for a vegetable stock.
Nutrition is estimated using a food database and is only intended to be used as a guideline for informational purposes.
Post updated in September 2018 with new photos, writing, and a tweaked recipe. Originally published January 2012.