Sausage and Kale Soup
This Sausage and Kale Soup is healthy, hearty and satisfying, with smoky Andouille sausage, Yukon gold potatoes, and plenty of kale. This is a great Whole30 friendly meal to keep on hand in the fridge!
Soup is the most underrated category of food in my opinion, and one of my favorite things to make and eat.
My favorite part about this soup is it has an incredibly short ingredients list, but still manages to have tons of flavor.
Sausage Kale Soup Ingredients:
- olive oil
- yellow onion
- andouille sausage
- yukon gold potatoes
- chicken broth
Oh, and salt, but that doesn’t usually count. 6 ingredients!! That’s it.
Despite the short list of ingredients, this soup manages to be hearty and delicious, with lots of flavor from the smoked andouille sausage.
A nice bonus to this recipe is I always have leftovers when I make it.
On days when I don’t feel like cooking lunch or dinner, it’s nice to be able to heat a bowl of this up in the microwave and eat something nutritious.
This soup is also Whole30 friendly, and you can make it low carb if you leave out the potatoes.
How to Make Sausage and Kale Soup:
To get started, brown some sliced andouille sausage in a big soup pot with olive oil:
Since there are so few ingredients in this soup, it’s essential to use a good quality, flavorful andouille sausage.
I buy smoked andouille sausage, which adds a smokiness, spiciness, and meatiness to the soup. The one my grocery store carries is made by Wellshire Farms and I really like it!
Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon, leaving the oil behind, and cook chopped yellow onion with a pinch of salt, until softened:
Add big chunks of Yukon gold potatoes:
And chicken stock too:
Simmer for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
Then add one bunch worth of kale leaves, and the reserved sausage, and cook for 2 minutes until the kale is wilted:
Then it’s ready to serve in bowls.
I love the flavors of the soup, and the kale always surprises me that it doesn’t have any bitterness left in it.
This Carrot Coconut Soup is also another Whole-30 compliant soup that is healthy and makes for great leftovers.
Sausage and Kale Soup
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb smoked andouille sausage sliced into 1/4" rounds
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 lb yukon gold potatoes diced into large pieces
- 8 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 large bunch curly green kale stems and ribs removed
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot set over medium heat, and add the sausage. Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring often, until browned.
- Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon to a plate, leaving the oil behind, and add the chopped onion. Season with a pinch of salt, and cook for 10 minutes, until softened.
- Add the potatoes and chicken stock, then cover the pot with a lid, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the kale and reserved andouille sausage to the soup, and cook for 2 minutes, until the kale has wilted.
- Make any final seasoning adjustments with salt and pepper, if needed, and enjoy!