Carrot Coconut Soup
This Carrot Coconut Soup is one of the best soups I’ve had in a long time. It’s full of flavor, and super creamy without any dairy. It’s a healthy soup that happens to be vegan and Whole30-compliant.
If you told me about carrot soup and expected me to be excited, you’d be horribly disappointed.
Does carrot soup sound exciting?
I mean, it’s definitely not the most exciting (that would be my politically correct answer).
But if you told me about carrot soup and gave me a spoonful of this to taste, I’d be like GIVE ME RECIPE. WHERE IS RECIPE?
You’ll just have to take my word for it.
We’re now in full-blown soup season and this one takes that role of creamy and flavorful.
It’s a little sweet from the carrots, and a little spicy from jalapeno and harissa. It’s very simple to make too!
In a big pot, soften chopped onion in some coconut oil, then add chopped jalapeno:
And sliced carrots:
Cook for 15 minutes, until the carrots start to soften.
Then add coconut milk plus a little water, vegetable stock, or chicken stock.
I’ve done them all, and they’re all good. It’s up to you!
Add harissa, which is a Tunisian red pepper paste.
Harissa has actually become pretty easy to find. I get mine at Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s.
The harissa takes the flavor of this soup up several notches, but you can make it without it. Just don’t skip the jalapeno, which adds great flavor too.
Simmer the soup for 45 minutes, until the carrots are really soft. You can see how much the soup has cooked down and how tender the veggies are:
Let the soup cool slightly, then blend in batches until it’s silky and creamy:
I think it looks really pretty with some extra coconut milk or coconut cream drizzled on top:
Pour the coconut milk from a height to get those perfect swirls, or if you really want precision, use a squeeze bottle (this is a food styling secret).
Carrot Coconut Soup
- 2 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 1 large onion chopped (3 cups)
- 2 jalapenos seeded and chopped (1/4 cup)
- 2 lbs carrots peeled and sliced
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups water, vegetable broth, or chicken broth
- 2 14-ounce cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons mild harissa*
- Melt the coconut oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, season with ¼ tsp salt and a few grinds of black pepper, and cook for 10 min until softened.
- Add the jalapeno and carrots, add another ¼ tsp salt, and cook for 15 more minutes, until slightly softened.
- Add the water or broth, coconut milk, and harissa. If using water, add another ¼ tsp salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered until the vegetables are very soft, about 45 minutes.
- Let the soup cool slightly, then puree in batches in a blender (or use an immersion blender) until the soup is smooth.
- Reheat the blended soup in the pot over medium heat, then taste and make any necessary seasoning adjustments. Enjoy!
This post contains an affiliate link.