Creamy Parmesan Chicken
Creamy Parmesan Chicken is a total hit for dinner, and easy to make. Bone-in, skin-on thighs are seared until golden and crispy, then cooked in a parmesan cream sauce with sauteed baby bella mushrooms and leeks.
I’m pretty sure I’ll always favor white meat over dark when it comes to chicken, but lately I’ve been on a chicken thigh kick.
Specifically the bone-in, skin-on cut.
(Not sure why, but I don’t love the boneless, skinless thighs. Maybe because the bone makes the chicken so juicy, and crispy chicken skin is always wonderful, so how could you take those away)?
Chicken thighs are one of the easiest cuts of meat you can cook.
First of all, searing the skin makes for a delicious and beautiful presentation of the actual meat, but the searing also leaves brown flavor bits on the bottom of the pan, which you can incorporate into whatever sauce you add afterward.
Thighs are also very forgiving when it comes to temperature. There’s a wider range where they’ll stay moist and delicious, than say, chicken breast or wings.
This is a recipe that I’ve been making quite a bit over the past couple months, and I can’t get enough of it. I know, those sound like totally cliche words, but it’s TRUE!
It’s one of those recipes where the final dish is so much more than the sum of its parts.
In other words, the ingredient list is relatively simple, but the flavor is off the charts. Let me show you how to make it!
I’ve got a video, and step-by-step photos below.
How to Make Creamy Parmesan Chicken:
Start by partially cooking some bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs.
Sear the chicken skin-down for 5 minutes, until golden, then cook for another two minutes on the other side:
Remove the chicken to a plate, then add sliced baby bella mushrooms and sliced leeks:
Season those with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Cook for 10 minutes, until softened, then add minced garlic:
Add heavy cream to the pan:
Then add freshly grated parmesan cheese:
Stir that all together, then nestle the chicken back into the pan, and add some fresh thyme:
Bake the chicken for 20 minutes to finish cooking the chicken, and at that point, the skin should be golden and the sauce will be bubbling.
Serve this Creamy Parmesan Chicken with a side of Potato Gratin for a really hearty dinner. Or for something lighter, serve a salad like Warm Brussel Sprout Salad with Goat Cheese, Shredded Zucchini and Arugula Salad, or Caesar Salad with Parmesan Peppercorn Croutons.
Creamy Parmesan Chicken with Mushrooms and Leeks
Creamy Parmesan Chicken Thighs with Mushrooms and Leeks is a total hit for dinner. Chicken thighs are seared until golden and crispy, then cooked in a parmesan cream sauce with sauteed baby bella mushrooms and leeks.
- 6 chicken thighs, bone-in skin-on
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 leeks (white and light green parts only), sliced
- 10 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 5 thyme sprigs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Season the chicken with a pinch of salt and pepper, on both sides.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and add the olive oil. Place the chicken thighs in the pan skin-down, and cook for 5 minutes, until golden and crispy. Flip the chicken and cook for 2 more minutes, then remove the chicken to a plate.
- Melt the butter*, then add the leeks and mushrooms. Season with ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper, and cook for 10 minutes, until softened.
- Add the garlic, and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the cream and parmesan, and stir.
- Add the chicken back to the pan, along with any juices from the plate.
- Add the thyme sprigs to the cream, then bake the chicken in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the chicken is completely cooked and measures 180F. Enjoy!
*You may use olive oil instead.
Did you make this recipe?
I'd love to know how it went!