Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies
A friend of mine said these Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies are the best chocolate cookie he’s ever had in his life. They are truly an experience!
Oh, these cookies. So dangerous.
They are a complete chocolate extravaganza, but in a very balanced way.
You know how sometimes things can be too chocolate-y in a one-note kind of way?
(I know, some will argue that such a thing isn’t possible, but it’s easy to overdo the chocolate for me).
Well, the cookie dough here is made with cocoa powder AND melted bittersweet chocolate, then semisweet chocolate chips are folded into the dough, then the cookies are half-dipped in melted white chocolate, and topped with crunchy crushed candy canes.
And each chocolate element has its role in making an irresistible cookie that I basically want to eat every day but only let myself eat during the holidays. Heh.
There are a few steps to this recipe, but there’s nothing fussy about the process, and there’s no chilling of the dough or anything like that. Let’s make some!
For the dry ingredients, whisk to combine flour, sifted cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt:
Set that aside, then combine bittersweet chocolate chips and butter in a bowl, and microwave it until it’s melted:
For the wet ingredients, combine eggs, sugar, and vanilla:
Whisk that until smooth, then add the melted chocolate/butter mixture:
Then add the dry ingredients to the party:
When the dry ingredients have almost been mixed in, add semisweet chocolate chips:
Then use a medium cookie scoop to portion out scoops onto a cookie sheet:
Bake for 13 minutes, until they’re set but still a little gooey:
Then let them cool a bit!
In the meantime, melt some white chocolate, then dunk half of each cookie into that liquid goodness:
Finally, sprinkle the white chocolate half with crushed candy canes:
Make sure to do it right after dipping the cookie, before the white chocolate sets! That way the pieces stick.
Ideally, let the white chocolate harden before enjoying…but…I won’t blame you if you can’t wait. Enjoy!
Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (5 ounces by weight)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder sifted
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup white chocolate chips melted
- 4 candy canes crushed
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the bittersweet chocolate and butter, and microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring each time, until melted.
- In a large bowl, whisk to combine the eggs, sugar, and vanilla. Add the melted chocolate butter mixture, and whisk to combine. Add the dry ingredients and stir together with a spatula to form a thick dough. Fold in the semisweet chocolate chips.
- Use a 1.5T medium cookie scoop to portion out scoops of cookie dough, 12 per half sheet pan. Bake for 13-14 minutes, until the cookies have flattened out and look crackly on top. Let cool on the baking sheet.
- Dip half of each cooled cookie into melted white chocolate, then sprinkle with crushed candy canes. Enjoy!
Nutrition is estimated using a food database and is only intended to be used as a guideline for informational purposes.