Slow Cooker Asian Pork Tacos
These Slow Cooker Asian Pork Tacos are fantastic for weeknight dinners. The pork only needs five minutes of prep before cooking low and slow in the crockpot, then the meat is shredded for taco time!
I’m always looking for more slow cooker recipes because I love the simplicity they usually have, but I have to be honest that a lot of slow cooker recipes don’t impress me enough. And it’s not a surprise, give that there’s no high heat caramelization action in a slow cooker. It definitely doesn’t work for everything.
Case in point are the reviews for America’s Test Kitchen Slow Cooker Revolution cookbook, which have some complaints that the recipes require you to sear or saute a lot of components before placing them in the slow cooker. Often that’s what it takes to have the best slow cooker dishes. They often aren’t “throw it in and turn it on” recipes.
Well, this one IS a “throw it in and turn it on” recipe, and is one of those super simple slow cooker recipes that actually make the cut.
The reason it works is because the Asian flavors (soy sauce, hoisin, sesame oil, etc) are all pretty strong and flavor the pork nicely, and the final product is really helped by all the fresh ingredients going on here too: crunchy purple cabbage, shredded carrots, scallions, and cilantro. This is a recipe I often make during the weekdays for dinner.
Start by combining soy sauce, honey, hoisin sauce, sriracha, sesame oil, sesame seeds, and garlic:
Stir to combine, then pour this all over a boneless center-cut pork loin roast:
The reason I’m not using pork shoulder is because I find it to be WAY too fatty, but you can use that instead if you’d like.
Use a brush to make sure the sauce is all over the surface of the pork:
Cook on low for 6-8 hours until tender, then shred the pork with forks:
To make the tacos, spread some hoisin sauce on a corn tortilla:
Then layer on the shredded pork:
Then add shaved cabbage, carrots, scallions, and cilantro:
It’s now ready to eat, enjoy, repeat!
Asian Pork Tacos
Boneless pork loin roast is cooked in the slow cooker with an Asian sauce, then shredded for fresh tacos. Great recipe for weeknight dinners!
For the slow cooker pork:
- 2.5lb boneless center-cut pork loin roast
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1 clove of garlic, pressed
For the tacos:
- 2 dozen corn or flour tortillas
- shredded red cabbage
- julienned carrots
- sliced scallions
- hoisin sauce
- In a small bowl, whisk to combine the soy sauce, honey, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, sesame seeds, sriracha, and pressed garlic. Place the pork in the slow cooker, and pour the sauce over the top. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, then let the pork cool for 15 minutes.
- Shred the meat with two forks or pull apart with your hands.
- To assemble the tacos, warm the tortillas, then spread on a couple teaspoons of hoisin sauce. Add the pork on top, then top with cabbage, carrots, scallions, and cilantro. Enjoy!