It’s easy to get creative with cookies, cakes, and other baked goodies, isn’t it?
Take a chocolate cake for instance.
It can be layered with vanilla buttercream, chocolate buttercream, lemon filling, raspberry filling, peanut butter frosting, whipped meringue, chocolate ganache, and on and on.
But how about getting creative with healthy things?
It’s so easy to get in a rut with vegetables.
You pick up a zucchini and you stare…what do I do with this?
Because chances are, you’ve already sauteed it, steamed it, and grilled it.
These preparations get old.
Let’s do something a little more fun with zucchini today.
Toss some artichoke hearts, a handful of fresh parsley, walnuts, lemon zest and juice, and garlic into a food processor:
Pulse, pulse, pulse.
Stream in some olive oil, and stir in parmigiano reggiano, and you’ll end up with a bowl of this:
Grill up some thin slices of zucchini, and spread each zucchini ribbon with a spoonful of the artichoke pesto:
Roll it up, nice and tight:
And that’s it! Ready to serve. Easy peasy and a totally delicious celebration of summer veggies.
And now for the goodie bag details!
OXO is hosting a healthy summer eating Twitter Party this Thursday the 26th at 4pm ET.
What will happen at this party?
In celebration of the party, OXO is giving away a $50+ Goodie Bag to one lucky Fifteen Spatulas reader. It includes:
-The OXO 5lb Food Scale (YES!!! I use my food scale every day, it’s the best)
-OXO Citrus Juicer
-OXO Pineapple Slicer
-OXO Avocado Slicer
-Their awesome OXO Water Bottle
-…and the Naptime Chef Cookbook!
Update: This giveaway is now closed. Thanks to all who entered!
What is your favorite summer vegetable or fruit? (And because I’m curious, what’s your favorite way to cook it)?
For an extra entry, you can also like the Fifteen Spatulas Facebook Page, just be sure to leave a separate comment for it below, and note if you are already a fan.
This contest is open to those with an address in the United States, and OXO will ship the goodies straight to your door. Entries for the contest will be closed at 9pm ET on July 26th.
Disclosure: I was not compensated to write this post, I just like OXO and want to get you all excited about the Twitter party on Thursday, where we will all chit chat about the greatest thing on the planet, FOOD! Hope to see you there.
Copyright Notice: Fifteen Spatulas images and original content are copyright protected. Please do not publish these materials without prior permission.
- 2 lbs zucchini (about 2-3 large zucchini)
- 9 oz package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and squeezed of excess water
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- the leaves of half a bunch of parsley (about a cup)
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 oz parmigiano reggiano, grated (about 1/2 cup)
- Cut the stem off the zucchinis, then use a mandolin to slice them into long thin ribbons. They should be about 1/8 inch thick, if they're too thin they won't stand up on the own, but if they're too thick, they won't be flexible enough to roll. Give each one a little sprinkle on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat the grill to high, and do a quick sear of the zucchini. Since they are really thin, they should only be on the grill for about 30-60 seconds, just enough to take the raw edge off and give them some pretty little grill marks. Remove the grilled zucchini ribbons to a plate.
- In a food processor, throw in the artichoke hearts, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, parsley, walnuts, and a big pinch of salt and pepper. Let the food processor run for a good 20 seconds, until everything is chopped up, and be sure to stop and scrape down the sides from time to time. With the food processor running, stream in the olive oil. Scrape the pesto out into a bowl, and stir in the grated parmesan. Taste it to check for proper seasoning.
- Place a spoonful of artichoke pesto into each zucchini ribbon, and roll it up into a little roll. The artichoke pesto is sticky so it should stick together well. Serve and enjoy!