This Mango Salsa is light and refreshing, and can be eaten with chips, added to seared tropical fish like mahi mahi, chicken, and more. It’s simple to make and has tons of flavor!
While tomato salsa is the most popular salsa of all, mango salsa is my personal favorite. With mango as the star, it’s sweet and tropical, with bright lime juice, herbaceous cilantro, and red onion to balance it all out. It also only takes 10 minutes to make!
What’s nice about this mango salsa is it’s extremely versatile. You can eat it as is with tortilla chips, or you can serve it with Seared Scallops, Chipotle Shrimp, Seared Snapper, Mango Cilantro Chicken, and more. If you want something really easy, you can even serve it with a simple Crockpot Chicken Breast and call it a day. It makes everything better!
Plus, whenever I serve it at a party, it goes SO fast. It’s one of those special dishes that people get really excited about, but is incredibly simple to make.
Mango Salsa Ingredients:
To start, gather up all your ingredients, which are mangos, fresh lime, red onion, and cilantro.
I like to keep it really simple and let the mango shine, but if you want you can add some other things to it.
Other Ingredients You Can Add to Mango Salsa:
- Minced Jalapeno – Great if you want some heat and spice in the salsa. You can also add habanero, but that’s a lot spicier.
- Avocado Chunks – Mango and avocado go beautifully together. Just note that if you add avocado, you can’t keep leftovers very long because the avocado will brown.
- Pineapple – Fresh pineapple is a great ingredient to pair with the mango, to make it extra tropical with more flavor! Cut it into chunks and add it in.
- Peaches – Great in the summertime when peaches are in at their best.
- Black Beans – This takes it into a more savory direction, but mango and black beans go great together.
- Corn – Some grilled corn is also a fantastic addition, and makes it more savory.
How to Make Mango Salsa:
Peel the mangos and cut around the pit. Cut the mangos into chunks, then add chopped cilantro, finely diced red onion, and fresh lime juice:
Add a big pinch of salt, then toss it all together to combine:
The mango salsa can be made ahead, several hours in advance, and you can keep leftover mango salsa in the fridge for a few days before the flavors start to go downhill.
What do you eat Mango Salsa with:
- With tortilla chips, as is. It’s delicious!
- Chipotle Shrimp
- Seared Snapper with Mango Avocado Salsa
- Seared Scallops
- Salmon Cakes
- This Mahi Mahi Recipe with Macadamia Nuts
- Mango Cilantro Chicken
- Crockpot Chicken Breast
There are so many foods to enjoy mango salsa with, and it’s paleo, gluten-free, Whole30, vegan, and healthy!
This Mango Salsa is light and refreshing, and can be eaten with chips, added to seared tropical fish like mahi mahi, chicken, and more. It's simple to make and has tons of flavor!
- 2 large mangos (3 cups chopped)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup loosely packed chopped cilantro
- juice of half a lime
- Peel the mangos, then cut around the pit in the middle. Cut the mangos into large chunks.
- Place the mango chunks in a big bowl, then add the red onion, cilantro, lime juice, and a pinch of salt.
- Enjoy! Serve the salsa with tortilla chips, fish, chicken, and more. See more suggestions in the blog post.
Did you make this recipe?
I'd love to know how it went!
This post was originally published in March 2015, and updated in May 2018.