Cheddar Scallion Biscuits
These all butter (no shortening) Cheddar Biscuits are soft, flaky, and tender. The flavor is rich with tangy buttermilk, sharp cheddar, and green onion. They are also crisp on the edges and fluffy in the middle. That’s my ideal biscuit, and they are wonderful alongside a piping hot bowl of Quick Chicken Noodle Soup!
These are exactly that, but then you add gooey, sharp cheddar cheese and a little bit of green onion to make the flavor even better.
This biscuit flavor combination is one I’ve been making for years, and it’s good enough to eat on its own, but can also compliment nearly any dinner spread.
Biscuits have a bit of a difficult reputation, maybe not as bad as Pie Crust, but they’re a lot easier to pull off than people think.
The most important thing to remember is to use a light hand to keep yourself from overworking the dough.
Because biscuits puff up quite a bit in the oven, they’re very forgiving.
They can go into the oven looking a bit shaggy, but they end up baking into flaky layers that give biscuits their visual appeal.
How to Make Cheddar Biscuits:
As you can see in the how-to video above, these biscuits are easy to make.
And quick too! It only takes 10 minutes to make the dough, and another 10 minutes to bake in the oven.
You can also freeze unbaked biscuits for a later dinner, then simply bake them any night you’d like. They are great along numerous dishes like Shrimp and Sausage Jambalaya, Easy Chicken Marsala, and Roasted Pork Tenderloin.
Garlic Knots, English Style Scones, and Pumpkin Muffins are some of my other favorite recipes to bake. Enjoy!
Cheddar Scallion Biscuits
- 6.25 oz flour, by weight (1.25 cups, if measuring)
- 1.25 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter cubed
- 4 oz cheddar cheese grated
- 2 scallions sliced
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Whisk to combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the cubed butter, and break it down with your fingertips, working it into the dry ingredients to coat the little butter pieces with flour (see video if needed). When the butter has been smushed down into large flakes, stir in the cheddar and scallions.
- Pour in the buttermilk, and toss everything around, thinking of moistening the dough and distributing the liquid instead of working or overstirring the dough. The dough should be relatively clumped together.
- Flour your countertop lightly and gently pat and roll the dough out into a circle or rectangle. Use a biscuit cutter to cut out little biscuits (or, just cut it up into square pieces).
- Place the biscuits on a parchment or silicone mat-lined baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Enjoy!!!
Nutrition is estimated using a food database and is only intended to be used as a guideline for informational purposes.
Post updated in April 2019. Originally published August 2011.
72 Comments on “Cheddar Scallion Biscuits”
Hi Joanne –
Thankyou very much for the recipe for peach pie. It looks very tasty and we are looking forward to that . Enjoy your week. M.