Spicy Sweet and Smoky BBQ Sauce
This homemade barbecue sauce has incredible flavor, with chipotle, honey, worcestershire, and more, all balanced for a savory, sweet, and spicy sauce. It’s perfect with ribs, chicken, and other meats!
Have you ever made your own BBQ sauce?
If not, you’ll be blown away by how easy it is.
Plus, when you make it yourself, you can make it to your tastes.
It will have just the right amount of heat, sweetness, smokiness, and zing, all for you.
Use it with pulled pork, ribs, chicken, whatever you’re cooking up on these lovely fleeting summer days.
Lipsmackin' Good Spicy Sweet and Smoky BBQ Sauce
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke
- 2 tsp chipotle chile pepper ground
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper optional
- 1-2 tbsp honey taste for sweetness
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup water if necessary
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add in the ketchup, molasses, worcestershire, liquid smoke, chipotle chile pepper, cayenne (if using), honey, and vinegar. Simmer for 15 minutes, then taste and make any necessary seasoning adjustments.
- If the BBQ sauce gets too thick, dilute with water until you get the desired consistency.