Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
A lusciously smooth peanut butter buttercream is sandwiched between two chewy peanut butter cookies, for a sweet treat!
These Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies are BONKERS INSANELY GOOD.
I know, I need to find a better way of explaining how amazing these cookies are, but my brain is having a really hard time because it is overwhelmed by the urgency of conveying to you that you need to make these cookies. They’re too good.
These cookies were a long time in the making. Back in May when I first moved to NYC, I instagrammed this photo from a trip to Thomas Keller’s famous Bouchon Bakery:
My husband and I saw the above “Homemade Nutter Butter” cookie through the glass and immediately knew it’s what we wanted. It was good, but honestly, I wanted to make it at home and do it my way. Dare I saw my cookie is prettier than the one from Bouchon Bakery? Hehehe.
To start, first we need to make the Peanut Butter cookies.
It’s a very simple cookie dough that starts by 1) creaming together peanut butter and butter, 2) adding brown sugar, granulated sugar, and vanilla, 3) then an egg, 4) then the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt):
You’ll end up with a cookie dough that looks like this:
Use a cookie scoop to portion out mounds of cookie dough onto a sheet pan:
A quick bake in the oven, and they’re ready to cool:
For the peanut butter buttercream, cream together peanut butter and butter, then add confectioner’s sugar:
I also add a touch of heavy whipping cream, which gives it a more airy, fluffy texture:
Whip that in until the buttercream is super smooth:
Put the peanut butter buttercream into a piping bag, and pipe the filling onto half the cookies (make sure the cookies are completely cooled before doing this, otherwise the filling will melt):
Place the remaining half of the peanut butter cookies on top of the frosted ones, and press gently with your fingertips:
Then, suck the remaining peanut butter buttercream from the piping bag. Just kidding. Although, my husband likes to pretend that’s a step in the recipe.
Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
For the Peanut Butter Cookies:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar lightly packed
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
For the Peanut Butter Buttercream:
- 1/2 cup butter softened (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- For the peanut butter cookies, cream together the butter and peanut butter for 30 seconds on medium high speed with a hand mixer, until fluffy and light. Add the sugar and brown sugar, and cream for another 30 seconds, until combined. Add the vanilla extract and egg, and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk to combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, then add this mixture to the wet ingredients in the other bowl. Mix until the flour just barely disappears (do not overmix, or the cookies will be tough).
- Take a medium cookie scoop and portion mounds of cookie dough onto a silicone mat or parchment paper lined baking sheet (12 scoops per sheet pan, with two sheet pans total), then bake for 13 minutes until the cookies are golden around the edges. Let the cookies cool completely.
- To make the buttercream filling, cream together the butter and peanut butter until fluffy. Add the confectioner's sugar and mix with medium high speed for 30 seconds, until airy and light. Add the heavy whipping cream and whip for another 30 seconds.
- To assemble, place the buttercream filling into a piping bag, then pipe the filling onto half of the cookies. Top the piped cookies off with a plain cookie, then press gently with your fingertips to make a sandwich. Serve and enjoy!
Tools I used to make this recipe: