This creamy Spaghetti Carbonara has bacon, mushrooms, peas, and lots of freshly grated Parmesan cheese for a delicious and indulgent meal!
There were a few years in my childhood when I ate those awful frozen dinners, and I distinctly remember trying a pasta carbonara variety and hating it. It’s amazing how eating a bad version of a dish one time can make you dislike something for so long. I’m convinced that I more or less like everything now (except lamb…I try and try but just don’t like lamb), and I absolutely have to make a dish at home in order to decide whether or not I do or don’t like it. Homemade spaghetti carbonara is one of the best dishes ever and is nothing like the frozen kind I had as a child. An egg and cheese sauce is tossed with freshly boiled pasta until a thick creamy sauce forms, and in my version, it has bacon, baby bella mushrooms, and peas mixed in. Here’s how:
Saute bacon, mushrooms, onion, and peas together, then place into a big bowl for later:
Whisk to combine eggs and grated cheese, and set aside.
Boil your spaghetti and drain, then toss immediately with the egg/cheese mixture and the sauteed bacon and veggies. Sprinkle with chopped parsley:
- 8 slices bacon
- 8 oz package baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup finely chopped almost minced yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 cup peas thawed if using frozen
- 3 eggs
- 1 oz grated parmigiano regiano cheese
- 1 lb box spaghetti
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Dice up the bacon, then cook it in a skillet set over medium heat until it’s cooked through. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon onto a paper towel, and pour off all but 1 to 2 tbsp of the bacon fat. Add the mushrooms, yellow onion, and garlic, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Saute for about 10 minutes, until all the liquid has evaporated. Put into a very large bowl (5 qt) along with the bacon and peas (this will be our pasta tossing bowl later).
- Whisk to combine the eggs and grated cheese. Set aside.
- Boil the pasta in salted water until al dente, then prepare for the following to go very quickly: Drain the pasta and immediately put it into the mushroom bacon peas bowl. Immediately pour in the egg cheese mixture and toss the pasta vigorously. The heat of the pasta will cook the eggs and melt the cheese and form a creamy sauce. Sprinkle in the chopped parsley and serve. Enjoy!