Orange Coffee Cake with Cinnamon Streusel Topping
This Orange Coffee Cake with Cinnamon Streusel Topping is a perfect breakfast to break out of the winter woes. Fresh orange juice replaces milk in this soft, moist coffee cake, giving it a bright and sunny flavor reminiscent of summertime. This post is sponsored by Simply Orange®.
Having grown up in California, the New York City winters can be pretty rough. I love living in a walking city during the warmer summer months, but the winters can be long and cold. Bitterly frigid Northeast snow storms come through the city with the extra bonus of wind tunnels that form in between buildings and barrel you over when you turn the corner. Even with heavy coats and boots, in those moments I find myself yearning for summertime — for sun, warmth, nature, and the fresh flavors of abundant fruits and veggies.
Including bright, fresh flavors and foods in my diet throughout the winter really helps me connect to those summer feelings when it’s chilly and gray outside. I’m not a big coffee drinker and also have a citrus obsession, so I love to have a glass of orange juice in the mornings with my breakfast. At my childhood home in California, we had three orange trees in our backyard, which I can thank for giving me the citrus love that I have. Staring out the windows of my apartment, looking at the midtown skyscrapers of NYC, having a sweet citrusy glass of my favorite orange juice makes me feel like I’m being transported outside of the concrete jungle into a sunny orange grove.
This Orange Coffee Cake with Cinnamon Streusel is one of my favorite treats to make for breakfast. It uses a substantial amount of orange juice in the recipe (1 cup!), so that you can actually taste the orange juice in the cake. The cake is super moist, not overly sweet, and has a bright, citrusy flavor from the orange juice.
The orange juice I recommend for this recipe and the one I always drink is Simply Orange®. It has always been my absolute favorite orange juice, and one I’ve been drinking for at least 10 years. It tastes great, and I like that it’s not-from-concentrate, never sweetened, and never frozen. There are also no added preservatives, colors, or artificial flavors. It’s just 100% orange juice!
To make the orange coffee cake, start by making the cinnamon streusel topping. In a bowl, combine all-purpose flour, dark brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon:
Whisk together to combine, then add one stick of cold, cubed butter:
Use your fingertips to break down the butter cubes and rub them into the flour sugar mixture, until you end up with small clumps:
Store the streusel topping in the refrigerator while you make the orange coffee cake:
In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy and combined:
Mix in 3 eggs, one at a time, then mix in a dollop of sour cream:
Next combine the dry ingredients, which is flour, baking powder and salt:
Add half the dry ingredients to the wet:
Mix that in, then add a 1/2 cup of Simply Orange® Pulp Free orange juice:
Repeat this process again with the remaining half of the dry ingredients and the orange juice, then pour the batter into a greased and floured 8×8 pan:
Grab the streusel crumb topping from the refrigerator and evenly spread it out over the top of the batter:
Bake for 55-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, and the top is golden brown:
Let the cake cool for at least 15 minutes, then cut into squares and serve:
Serve the coffee cake with your favorite morning beverage. I usually pair the cake with a glass of orange juice to echo the flavors in the cake.
Find the full recipe and instructions below, and for my New York readers, visit Simply Orange’s Gotham to Grove website for giveaways, coupons, and nature-to-New York inspired prizes. You can also find more recipes and Simply inspirations on the Simply Facebook page too. Enjoy!
Orange Coffee Cake with Streusel Crumb Topping
This Orange Coffee Cake with Cinnamon Streusel Topping is a perfect breakfast to break out of the winter woes. Fresh orange juice replaces milk in this soft, moist coffee cake, giving it a bright and sunny flavor reminiscent of summertime.
For the Cinnamon Streusel Topping
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
For the Orange Coffee Cake
- 1 teaspoon butter, for greasing the pan
- 1 tablespoon flour, for greasing the pan
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Simply Orange® Pulp Free Orange Juice
- To make the streusel crumb topping, in a bowl, whisk to combine the flour, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Add the butter cubes to the bowl, and use your fingertips to break down the butter pieces and rub them into the flour mixture, until small clumps form. Keep in the refrigerator while you prepare the cake.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour an 8×8″ metal cake pan, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy and combined. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing each egg in well before adding the next. Add the sour cream and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk to combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the butter egg mixture, and mix until combined. Then add half of the Simply Orange® Pulp Free Orange Juice, and mix until combined. Mix in the remaining half of the dry ingredients, then the remaining orange juice.
- Pour the coffee cake batter into the greased and floured pan, then evenly spread the streusel crumb topping all over the top of the batter. Bake the cake for 55 to 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for at least 15 minutes before serving, then enjoy!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 569kcal Calories from fat 245|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 27g||42%|
|Saturated Fat 16g||80%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Did you make this recipe?
I'd love to know how it went!
This post is sponsored by Simply Orange, but all opinions expressed are my own and are based on my personal views.