Loaded Potato Soup
This quick and easy soup has all the flavors you love in a Loaded Baked Potato, but in the form of a rich and creamy soup!
In terms of comfort food, I would take a bowl of creamy, warm soup over a bowl of mac and cheese (uh huh, that’s right). Loaded potato soup is indisputably one of the most comforting soups ever to exist, and while I can’t say it’s THE favorite because it’s too close to call with other soups like chicken tortilla and lobster bisque, it’s definitely ONE of the favorites.
I recently developed a couple recipes with some new Swanson products on my Youtube channel, and I wanted to share this one with you, particularly if you’re someone who doesn’t usually have cream on hand but wants to have creamy soup in an instant! This is a quick one!!
For the soup, start by crisping up some sliced bacon:
Remove half of the bacon with a slotted spoon, then add chopped yellow onion. Cook until soft:
Add cubed russet potatoes, and cook for a few minutes to meld the flavors and soften the potatoes slightly:
Then add in Swanson®’s Cream Starter and simmer until the potatoes are tender:
The Cream Starter is a pantry item that’s a cream base, made with fresh cream, butter and wine, and I’m a huge fan of it! I used to try keeping cream in the fridge for recipes like this, but too often ended up with spoiled cream because it just doesn’t have a long shelf life. This is a lot easier!
Get the full recipe below, and here’s the video I made for the recipe. Enjoy!
Loaded Potato Soup
- 8 oz bacon sliced
- 1 large onion chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 pounds russet potato peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 26.1 ounce carton Swanson® Cream Starter Traditional
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 3 scallions sliced
- In a large pot set over medium heat, cook the bacon for 7-8 minutes until crispy. Remove half of the bacon from the pot to a paper towel lined plate, then add the chopped onion along with a pinch of salt. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and fragrant.
- Add the potato chunks to the pot and season generously with a big pinch of salt, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the Swanson Cream Starter and cook the soup for 15-20 minutes with the lid on, stirring every 5 minutes so the bottom of the pan doesn’t burn, until the potatoes are soft. Stir in the cheddar cheese and green onions, then serve immediately. Serve with desired garnishes on top, such as the reserved crumbled bacon, extra cheese, scallions, or sour cream. Enjoy!
Disclosure: I developed this recipe with Swanson’s Cream Starter and created this video for them, sponsored by Swanson®. As always, all opinions are my own, and I’m a big fan of their products and have been for a long time!