How to Make Cauliflower Rice
Here’s a step-by-step for how to make cauliflower rice, using a food processor to rice a fresh head of cauliflower. It’s so easy and takes less than 5 minutes!
While you can buy cauliflower rice from the store, it often has too much stem in it, and more of a square shape that’s not as nice as the texture or flavor of homemade rice.
That’s why it’s worthwhile to make yourself. Fortunately, it’s very easy.
Cauliflower rice is a fantastic low carb, healthy vegetable side that can be cooked in a variety of ways.
You can make several batches of cauliflower rice at once, and keep it in your fridge to cook up at any time.
How to Make Cauliflower Rice:
Start with a large head of cauliflower, and make a cut in the side of the stem, so you can pull it away with your hands:
Now that the stem has been removed, cut away the florets from the core, leaving the core behind.
Once you have the florets separated, cut them into thinner pieces. If the pieces are too big, they will get “stuck” in the food processor and not cut evenly.
The florets below on the left are too big, but the size on the right is good:
For a 2.5 lb cauliflower head, I usually split the ricing into two batches. Otherwise the food processor will be too crowded and you’ll have uneven pieces.
Do not fill the food processor any higher than the top of the blade:
Put the lid on and pulse several times, until the cauliflower florets break down into rice sized pieces.
I actually like somewhere between a cauliflower “couscous” and rice in terms of size.
Make sure not to pulse too many times, or the pieces will get too small. If there are any big floret pieces that didn’t break down and the rest of it is cut well, take the big pieces out and pulse them separately in another batch, or else you’ll start to overprocess the rest of the rice.
Empty the first batch into a bowl, then repeat with the remaining cauliflower florets.
How Much Cauliflower Rice does one Cauliflower Head Make?
I find that a cauliflower head that’s 2-2.5 pounds makes 6 cups of cauliflower rice. That’s enough for 4 people as a generous side.
Also try Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes. They’re so good!
Cauliflower Rice Tips:
- How long does cauliflower rice last? Uncooked, about 3 days, and cooked 4-5 days.
- Is cauliflower rice healthy? Yes, it’s a vegetable side and is low carb, Whole30, paleo, and gluten-free.
- Can cauliflower rice be frozen? Yes, but you have to cook it first. Let cool, then freeze in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
How to Make Cauliflower Rice
- 2 to 2.5 lb head cauliflower
- Rinse the cauliflower, then dry well.
- Cut the stem off the cauliflower, then cut the florets away from the stem. Discard the stem.
- Cut the cauliflower florets into small pieces (see photo), then place into a food processor, in two batches.
- Pulse the cauliflower florets several times, until cut down into a rice size.
- The cauliflower rice is now ready to be cooked for any recipe you'd like.