Easy Weeknight Tortellini Soup
This is one of my go-to meals for busy weeknights. Hearty tortellini are paired with carrots, collard greens, and smoky andouille sausage!
This is going to sound crazy, but sometimes I have a hard time keeping up with making enough food for my husband.
He’s one of those people who seems to eat an unlimited amount of calories yet stays trim and fit no matter what he eats (oh how I envy his metabolism).
Given the fact that I spend most of my day in the kitchen, I know all of this sounds absurd. But often my kitchen time is filled with lots of testing and experiments, but not a ton of leftovers.
So what do I do?
I make dishes like this tortellini soup. There are certain recipes that I always fall back on when I need to make something relatively simple that yields a good amount of food.
You can watch how I made this soup in this video I made for you, but basically you sweat some onions, carrots, and rosemary, then add some smoky andouille sausage. The sausage adds a really awesome meaty flavor to the soup that I love! Then add some garlic and collard greens, and you can add your beef broth and tortellini. The end! It’s so easy and it’s one of my favorite soups to make.
Easy Weeknight Tortellini Soup
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 large carrot chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 link spicy smoked andouille sausage diced (.25 lb link)
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 bunch collard greens washed, stems removed and leaves chopped
- 32 oz box beef broth
- 10 oz package spinach or cheese tortellini
- parmigiano reggiano for grating
- salt and pepper
- Heat up the olive oil in a big soup pot set over medium heat, and add the onion, carrot, and rosemary. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook for 10 minutes until the ingredients have softened and the onions start to turn translucent.
- Add the sausage and cook for another 10 minutes, to let the flavor and fat render out of the sausage a bit and flavor the onions and carrots.
- Add the garlic and collard greens to the pan and let the greens wilt for about 5 minutes.
- Add the beef broth and bring the soup to a boil over high heat, then add the tortellini. Cook the tortellini for as long as the directions say, but if it’s fresh tortellini it should be about 3-4 minutes.
- Taste the broth for seasoning and add salt and pepper as necessary. Remove the rosemary twigs and serve with a grating of fresh parmigiano reggiano. Enjoy!
Nutrition is estimated using a food database and is only intended to be used as a guideline for informational purposes.
8 Comments on “Easy Weeknight Tortellini Soup”
This was excellent! Used a bit more garlic and served with garlic bagel chips.
Just found your website yesterday and already tried this recipe today. It was very good. Made a double batch. Couldn’t get andouille sausage, so I used sausage with garlic & rosemary, also used spinach instead. The whole family loved it. Going to try one of your recipes for tomorrows dinner.
That’s wonderful Vikki! Hope you continue to enjoy Fifteen Spatulas and the recipes. Happy cooking!
Okay, this is totally going in my arsenal! I love a good soup, and tortellini makes it even better!
My favorite soup to make is Spinach soup, it’s a traditional Mediterranean/Southern Slavic recipe, I can email it to you Joanne, maybe you can find a way to freshen it up or something lol
Oh my goodness this soup looks AMAZING!! I can’t wait to give it a try! Thanks for the recipe and video 🙂
Thanks Tiffany, it’s one of my favorite soups! Hope you enjoy it =)