Chocolate Pecan Tart
Looking for a twist on pecan pie without corn syrup? This Chocolate Pecan Tart has wonderful cocoa flavor, and is sweetened with honey and maple syrup.
Hi there, Fifteen Spatulas readers! My name is Allie and I usually blog over at Baking a Moment, but Joanne invited me to come over here today while she recovers from surgery.
This delicious chocolate pecan tart starts with the most delicious chocolate cookie crust.
I actually used Joanne’s Chocolate Wafer Pie Crust recipe. It’s as easy as crushing up some homemade chocolate wafers, adding a little melted butter, and pressing them into the bottom of a buttered tart pan. You’re going to love the crunchy texture and the chocolate flavor- it’s so good with the caramely pecan filling!
To boost the chocolate flavor even more, you’re going to scatter a few handfuls of chocolate chips over the bottom of the tart.
Then, layer in the chopped pecans, and finally, pour in the buttery caramel mixture.
It’s made from simple ingredients: eggs, brown sugar, butter, maple syrup, and honey.
Traditionally, you’ll see corn syrup, and I don’t have anything against a little corn syrup now and again, but to be honest it doesn’t have nearly as much flavor as maple and honey. Along with the brown sugar, this tart has a really nice deep flavor.
I like to also add a couple tablespoons of bourbon to the mix, but if you aren’t much of a fan feel free to leave it out!
Once the tart is baked, the cookie crust melds with filling, and you end up with an almost brownie-like base. It’s pretty outta this world!
This tart is just perfect for entertaining. It can be made a day or two ahead and served at room temperature. It’s pretty sturdy and it holds up well for traveling.
If you’re looking for a dessert to make or bring to Thanksgiving dinner, give this recipe a try!
Thank you so much Joanne, for having me over today to talk to your readers! I hope you guys enjoyed, and let’s all hope Joanne feels much better real soon.
Thanks Allie! You can find the full recipe for the Chocolate Pecan Tart below. Here are a few recipes from Allie’s site that I love (click the thumbnails):
From left to right: 1. Salted Caramel Mocha Heaven & Hell Cake 2. Baked Gingerbread Donuts with Lemon Yogurt Glaze 3. Raspberry Meringue Sandwiches with Whipped Dark Chocolate Ganache Filling
And for lots of baking recipes, you can find Allie on her blog.
Chocolate Pecan Tart
- 1 chocolate wafer pie crust unbaked
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups pecan pieces
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons bourbon whiskey optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly mist a 10-inch tart pan with non-stick spray.
- Press the chocolate wafer pie crust mixture in the bottom and up the sides of the pan.
- Scatter the chocolate chips in an even layer over the crust, followed by the pecan pieces.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and brown sugar together. Whisk in the honey and maple syrup. Add the butter, vanilla, and bourbon (if using), and whisk to combine. Pour the mixture over the pecans and bake the tart for 35-40 minutes, or until set.
- Cool completely before serving.