Broccoli Cheddar Soup
This Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe uses simple ingredients but has so much flavor and creaminess. It only takes 20 minutes to make!
I think soup may be the most under appreciated category of food, and there is something really wonderful and comforting about hot soup when it’s chilly outside. And oh boy do I like it piping hot. My husband says I like to burn my mouth, hah.
Some soups require hours and hours of simmering time to develop depth of flavor, but this isn’t one of those soups. This is a quick one! You can get it done in 20-25 minutes and serve it with crusty bread for a light dinner. And I think broccoli cheddar soup is one of the best classics. Let’s begin!
How to Make Broccoli Cheddar Soup:
To get started, chop up a bunch of broccoli:
Next chop up a small yellow onion, and saute it in butter for five minutes until soft:
Add flour and stir it in until a blond paste forms:
Add chicken stock, cream, and milk, and bring to a boil. Then, add in the broccoli:
Let the broccoli cook for about 10 minutes, and in the meantime, grate some cheddar cheese:
Once the broccoli is tender, remove the pot from the heat and stir in the cheese:
Make any final seasoning adjustments, and ladle the soup into bowls:
Yes, it’s this easy. Hope you enjoy this one!
This classic Broccoli Salad is another one of my favorite ways to prepare broccoli. Happy cooking!
Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 softball sized yellow onion chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 5 cups chopped broccoli (both the florets and stalks)
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese*
- salt and pepper
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, season with a pinch of salt, and cook for 5 minutes, until the onions are soft and translucent. Stir in the flour until it combines into a blond paste, and cook for two minutes.
- Turn the heat to high and add the chicken stock, milk, and heavy cream. Bring this mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Add in the broccoli and simmer for 10 minutes until the broccoli is tender.
- Stir in the cheddar, then taste and make any necessary seasoning adjustments with salt and pepper. Serve and enjoy!