Korean Chicken Rice Bowls
These Korean Chicken Rice Bowls take less than 15 minutes to make, so they’re a great option for quick weeknight meals or in the summertime when you want to limit having the stove on.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
Servings 3 -4
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp gochujang
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp Korean red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 pound 92% lean ground chicken
- 1/3 cup sliced scallions
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 cucumber shredded
- steamed white rice for serving
Whisk to combine the soy sauce, gochujang, honey, sesame oil and red pepper flakes in a small bowl.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over high heat. When hot, add the grapeseed oil and ground chicken. Use a spatula to break the meat up into small pieces, and brown for about 5 minutes, until the meat is cooked through.
Add the scallions, garlic and ginger to the pan, and cook for 1 minute.
Add the sauce to the pan, and simmer over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, until it coats the ground meat well.
Serve the chicken in bowls with the shredded cucumber and rice. Enjoy!
- Feel free to use low-sodium soy sauce: As made per the recipe, the meat mixture on it own is salty, but when eaten with the plain rice and plain cucumber, I find it works. If you’re concerned about salt, I suggest using a low-sodium soy sauce.
- What is gochujang? It’s a Korean red chili paste condiment that’s savory, sweet, and spicy (though I’ve found that the spiciness really varies).
- Where to find gochujang: I have found it in many Asian sections of the grocery store, and I know Whole Foods carries it.
- How to reheat this dish: Warm it up in a skillet over medium heat for about 5 minutes, with a few tablespoons of water added, stirring often. Or microwave it.
- Storing leftovers: This dish will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days, and reheats well.
- Freezing leftovers: The meat mixture and rice both freeze well, and will keep for 1-2 months.
Calories: 373kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 130mg | Sodium: 1408mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 14g