Tex-Mex Chicken Casserole
This Tex-Mex Chicken Casserole only takes 5 minutes of prep to put together, and is perfect for an easy weeknight meal!
Last week I got a message from a reader asking me to share what dishes are in my regular rotation.
So, here’s one of my favorites! I REALLY love meals like this Tex-Mex Chicken Casserole because:
Reason #1: It only takes 10 minutes to put together. Even when I’m feeling exhausted after a busy day, I know I can scrounge up the energy required to mix together a bunch of ingredients and bake. BAM!
Reason #2: Leftovers!!! Oh how I love leftovers. I don’t know why people grumble and moan about having leftovers, because my thought is, I get to eat that awesome meal again the next day except all I have to do this time is put a scoop of it in the microwave?! I think that’s pretty awesome. And this is one of those dishes where it tastes just as good (maybe even better?!) reheated the next day.
Reason #3: This is the stuff my comfort food is made of. I LOVE tex-mex flavors and there’s a ton of flavor in this dish.
As referenced above, this casserole is VERY simple to put together.
It’s just a matter of starting with a handful of crushed tortilla chips:
And adding a bunch of stuff to it.
Diced chicken breast…
(I use my slow cooker to cook batches of chicken breast to be used for stuff like this. Here’s the post with instructions for that)
Salsa, cheese, scallions, taco seasoning…
Stir it all together:
Then put it in a casserole dish:
Cover it with foil and bake for 30 minutes:
Then you can serve it garnished with scallions, sour cream (a must), avocado slices, chopped fresh tomato, cilantro…whatever you’d like!
Tex-mex Chicken Casserole
- 4 oz tortilla chips broken into large pieces (2 cups)
- 1 cup corn canned or frozen
- 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed (can do pinto beans too)
- 3 cups diced and cooked chicken breast
- 2 cups shredded Mexican-style cheese
- 3 cups your favorite salsa (I like Frontera)
- 1 bunch scallions sliced
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- sour cream for garnish (optional)
- avocado slices for garnish (optional)
- fresh chopped tomato for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the tortilla chips, corn, black beans, diced chicken, cheese, salsa, scallions, and taco seasoning. Stir it all together very well, being careful not to crush the tortilla chips too much. Taste the mixture and adjust seasoning if necessary (and keep in mind this will taste wetter than when it comes out of the oven).
- Dump out the entire mixture into an 8×12 or 9×13 casserole dish, and cover tightly with foil. Bake for 30 minutes, then serve with your favorite garnishes (like avocado slices, sour cream, fresh chopped tomatoes, scallions, etc). Enjoy!