Puffed Cheddar Cheese Twists
These puffy Cheddar Cheese Twists have a sharp and buttery flavor, and are very easy to make. They are perfect for parties and entertaining!
When you’ve had your fix of cheese and crackers, what do you do???
Find a new way to eat even more cheese and turn it into bread form, of course!
Cheese twists might actually be my favorite way to eat cheese, and I’d venture to say it may be most people’s favorite way too because they disappear quicker than everything else when I bring them to parties.
With any recipe that only involves around five ingredients, you want to make sure you’re using good quality stuff. Cheese twists had better taste like some darned good sharp cheddar cheese.
You wouldn’t cook with a bad wine, would you?
Of course you wouldn’t.
In a similar way, you wouldn’t want to make cheese twists with a bad cheese.
My cheese of choice for these twists is Cracker Barrel yellow sharp, with aged reserve as a close second. But if you have a favorite variety from their line of cheeses, you can use your favorite! I have tested them all (yes, really) and they’re all amazing. The jalapeno is good if you’re feeling spicy 😉
Puffed Cheddar Cheese Twists
- 1/2 cup finely grated sharp cheddar cheese (2.5 oz, by weight)
- 1/2 cup flour (2.5 oz, by weight)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter cubed
- 1 egg white (2 tbsp)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
- Combine the cheddar, flour, salt, and cayenne pepper by swirling it around with your fingers.
- Add the cubed butter and work it into the flour mixture with your fingertips, working quickly (you don’t want to melt the butter).
- Once the big butter pieces are broken down, stir in the egg white until evenly distributed. The mixture will be crumbly but you should be able to knead the mixture into a cohesive dough ball fairly easily (do not overwork).
- Roll out onto a floured surface to about 1/8 inch thick.
- Cut into long strips with a pizza cutter and twist them onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes until crisp and a light golden brown. Let cool slightly, then enjoy!
Nutrition is estimated using a food database and is only intended to be used as a guideline for informational purposes.
42 Comments on “Puffed Cheddar Cheese Twists”
So fun! Love the shape 🙂
These look delicious — and fancy! Cheese is the best.
Love how easy these are! I might have to try them with jalapeno cheese!
Wow this is so genius, Joanne! Why hasn’t anyone else thought of these cheese twists? Since you mention it, I’m craving some right now (:
These look like so much fun! I’ve never made crackers before, and I’ve been wanting to give it a try. The recipe looks pretty easy too! 🙂 Bookmarking. 🙂
These are so gorgeous and easy, I love it! Definitely trying them soon. Thanks, Joanne, and have a great time in NYC!
These are awesome!! I am ln love with them. YUM!
Love these, Joanne! I’m going to have to make them, stat!!
Yum yum yum yum yum yum!!! That is 6 yums! I used to make cheese straws when I was young (like, 3rd grade…) I gotta make them again.
I love cheese straws but yet never make them at home. I need to change that! These look so flakey and delicious!
What a perfect snack! I hope mine turn out as good.
Ok, I’ve never had a cheese twist. My life seems woefully incomplete now. I am a cheese fiend…what have I been missing all of this time!? These sound amazing and I can’t wait to make them 🙂
Looks delicious! Perfectly cheesy and crunchy!
Did these turn out better than we tried to make our first batch three years ago? 😉
Also, I know I’m terribly behind with both email and Skype but we absolutely must catch up soon. It’s been months! That’s it, I’m sending you an email today – keep an eye on your inbox.
Oh yeah! These are a whole new level of awesome haha. I’m whittling down my inbox and will try to get back to you soon!
Totally gorgeous! I am in love with this recipe because you don’t have to wait for dough to rise, you don’t have to chill the dough, it makes a modest-sized batch, the color is amazing – and there’s cheese involved! This is going to blow up on Pinterest. Pinning!
You’re so sweet Averie! It’s true, they come together really quickly. I’m sure you understand, but I don’t like waiting long for my food LOL.