The Power of Masks + How to Do Them Properly + Last Day for Free Beautycounter Gifts from Me!
For a long time I thought face masks were unnecessary.
In my minimalist face routine, it seemed like an extra step that wasn’t essential, unlike cleanser or moisturizer.
It’s weird to write this now, because I am so far in the other direction these days.
Masks are my favorite thing I do for my skin, and one of the most powerful parts of a skin routine.
The Power of Masks
For my birthday a while back, my stepmom gifted me a minifacial at a spa.
Facials are something I’ve never bought for myself (because, it’s very $$$$$), but since she had already paid for it, I went.
For 30 minutes, a lady smeared a few different goos on my face, and I thought, what is this going to do?
At the end of the session, she handed me a mirror and I was completely flabbergasted.
I couldn’t believe it was my face.
No, I’m not exaggerating.
My skin looked radiant, plump, and SO hydrated.
And that was the moment I decided I needed to start doing masks at home.
What’s the Point of a Mask?
There are many different kinds that do different things, but generally speaking, masks deliver a high-potency of ingredients and intense results to your skin.
They can draw out dirt, oil, and impurities from below the top layer of your skin, hydrate deeply, deliver high concentrations of ingredients like Vitamin C to brighten your skin, and so on.
Tips for How to Do a Face Mask Properly:
1. Do not leave a mask on for longer than it says – I’ve been guilty of this one in the past, thinking that if I left a mask on for longer than specified, I’d get more results.
This is actually not true, and if you leave a mask on for too long, it can irritate your skin. I set a timer when I do my masks (and by the way, I do a mask every 3 days).
2. Do your face mask at night, after you’ve showered and cleansed your skin – That way your pores will be open and your face will be clean, so the ingredients in the mask can penetrate your skin and give you the best results.
3. Rinse very thoroughly afterward, with lukewarm water – I’ve noticed that the mask mixture tends to get stuck in a few spots on my skin, including a deep pore that I have on my forehead. Make sure to rinse everything off very well afterward, to remove the ingredients from your skin.
Homemade vs. Store-bought
There are a million recipes online for homemade masks, however I find that the store-bought ones perform much better. The cost is of course higher for store-bought, but it’s much more cost-effective than getting facials at a spa (which I still don’t do).
If you go the homemade route, be selective about the ones you try.
I’ve seen clickbait-y articles where they share ideas like smearing egg on your face, and I can’t imagine that’s very effective.
Some of the better recipes I’ve seen online call for ingredients like Kaolin Clay (you can buy this at health food stores) and fruit extracts.
My two favorite face masks that I buy are from Beautycounter:
Balancing Charcoal Mask – This is one of their best sellers, and it’s great for removing impurities, unclogging pores, and making your skin appear a lot more clear.
Brightening Facial Mask – I am trying to get rid of some sun spots I have on my skin from sun damage, so I’ve been using this regularly. It has Vitamin C, which reduces the appearance of those spots.
LAST DAY for Free Beautycounter Gifts from Me!
I am giving some gifts with purchase (sponsored by me!) for the holidays.
I am doing this because I truly want more people to try Beautycounter.
Their products have completely changed my skin, and though I was skeptical at first, I have now thrown out pretty much all of my old products and have replaced them with Beautycounter.
And yes, paid for all that with my own money! I really believe in them because the results I’ve gotten were SO strong.
Tier 1: Spend $75+ through Beautycounter and I’ll cover your standard ground shipping.
Tier 2: Spend $125+ through Beautycounter and you’ll receive tier 1 (I’ll cover your standard ground shipping) PLUS, I’ll send you one of the following (randomly chosen):
- Spa Size Facial Mask – My favorite product from Beautycounter!
- Charcoal Cleansing Bar– Cleans the skin SO well, and it can be used for face, body, and also for cleaning makeup brushes.
Tier 3: Spend $200+ through Beautycounter and you’ll receive tier 1 AND 2 (I’ll cover your standard ground shipping + send you a mask or charcoal bar), PLUS I’ll send you a sample of the Cleansing Balm (I use this every day, love it!)
So, how to get in on this amazing deal?
1. Shop & place an order through my link!
2. Forward your order receipt to email@example.com along with your PayPal email address to the email (to reimburse your shipping costs)!
3. Gifts to follow!
Qualifying Order Dates: December 6th – 15th
Shipping costs will be reimbursed via PayPal. All other gifts I will mail directly to you.
Gifts will ship by the 3rd week of December.
Note: qualifying order amounts are quantified *before* tax, shipping, and member credits. Limited to one redemption per person. Beautycounter orders must be placed with me (“Joanne Ozug“) listed as your consultant.
If you want help picking out products for your skin type and budget, or have questions about specific products, email me or leave a comment below! I’ve tried almost everything and can share my thoughts.
The SKIN products I personally use and love are:
- Nourishing Cream Exfoliator – The best exfoliator I’ve ever used, it’s gentle enough to use every day but really effective at polishing your skin.
- The Masks are AMAZING! I do one every other day. There are three kinds, for different skin types (let me know if you need help picking one)
- The Facial Oils are also incredible, and I use them twice a day as my moisturizer.
- Rejuvenating Radiance Serum – I have a lot of dark spots from sun damage on my skin, and this has been reducing those.
- Calendula Lip Conditioner – My lips take a beating during the cold winter months, and this keeps them from getting dry. The smell is so dreamy.
The MAKEUP products I personally use and love are:
- Touchup Skin Concealer Pen – I have terrible dark circles under my eyes, and this covers them up really well. I also use for blemishes and red spots.
- Award-winning Dew Skin Tinted Moisturizer with SPF 20 – If you want to minimize your routine, this will moisturize your skin, add some light foundational cover, and protect your skin from the sun, all in one.
- I have 5 of these Lip Sheers – The colors are flattering and you don’t have to worry about lead or other harmful ingredients entering your mouth!
- The Eye Makeup Remover is the BEST I’ve ever used. Everything comes off with ease.
If you need any help picking out products or have any questions, let me know in the comments below!
Also, if you end up getting something from Beautycounter, I recommend getting the Band of Beauty membership!
It’s Beautycounter’s loyalty program (and like their version of “Prime”), and you get a free Nourishing Cream Cleanser (I use this every day), 15% product credit back, and free shipping all the time on $100+ orders.
The membership is $29/year, and with the gift and free shipping it pays for itself, plus you get the 15% product credit.