Puffed Cheddar Cheese Twists
When you’ve had your fix of cheese and crackers, what do you do???
Find a new way to eat even more cheese and turn it into bread form, of course!
Cheese twists might actually be my favorite way to eat cheese, and I’d venture to say it may be most people’s favorite way too because they disappear quicker than everything else when I bring them to parties.
With any recipe that only involves around five ingredients, you want to make sure you’re using good quality stuff. Cheese twists had better taste like some darned good sharp cheddar cheese.
You wouldn’t cook with a bad wine, would you?
Of course you wouldn’t.
In a similar way, you wouldn’t want to make cheese twists with a bad cheese.
My cheese of choice for these twists is Cracker Barrel yellow sharp, with aged reserve as a close second. But if you have a favorite variety from their line of cheeses, you can use your favorite! I have tested them all (yes, really) and they’re all amazing. The jalapeno is good if you’re feeling spicy 😉
Puffed Cheddar Cheese Twists Recipe
- 1/2 cup packed, finely grated Cracker Barrel sharp cheddar (2.5 oz)
- 1/2 cup flour (2.5 oz)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 egg white (2 tbsp)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
- Combine the cheddar, flour, salt, and cayenne pepper by swirling it around with your fingers. Add the cubed butter and work it into the flour mixture with your fingertips, working quickly (you don’t want to melt the butter). Once the big butter pieces are broken down, stir in the egg white until evenly distributed. The mixture will be crumbly but you should be able to knead the mixture into a cohesive dough ball fairly easily (do not overwork).
- Roll out onto a floured surface to about 1/8 inch thick. Cut into long strips with a pizza cutter and twist them onto the baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes until crisp and a light golden brown. Let cool slightly, then enjoy!
Don’t forget to check out Cracker Barrel on Blogher.