How many times have you gone out to eat and seen a menu with wonderfully elaborate main courses and desserts, but the most boring, dull options for vegetables?
They’ll have the most amazing seared Alaskan halibut with a valencia orange gastrique and roasted fingerlings for dinner.
And for dessert they’ll have a peach tarte tatin with bourbon creme anglaise and caramel butter pecan ice cream.
But for vegetables, they offer you steamed mixed veggies, sauteed green beans, or glazed carrots.
…who wants to order vegetables when they’re made like that??? What a snooze.
I think part of the reason vegetables are underappreciated is because they aren’t given much attention.
They need something a little fancier than just being steamed or sauteed with garlic and shallots.
So when I make zucchini, I like to stuff it with a ton of delicious flavors.
Browned italian sausage, garlic, tomatoes, parmesan cheese, herbs, bread crumbs, and red onion, just to name a few.
All you have to do is stuff all of that into the scooped zucchinis and send it into the oven for 20 minutes, and they’re done! Then you can stuff your belly with these tasty stuffed zucchinis =)
- 1 lb of zucchinis (size doesn't matter)
- 1/3 lb fresh italian sausage
- 1/4 cup italian bread crumbs
- 2 oz grated parmesan cheese
- 4 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 12 oz tomatoes, chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp minced parsley
- 1/3 cup minced red onion
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat up a skillet over medium high heat, and add the sausage to the pan once the pan is hot enough that when you add the sausage, it hisses and sizzles. Break up any large bits of sausage with your cooking utensil, and brown the sausage for about 5 minutes, until the sausage has cooked through. Remove the sausage from the pan and set aside.
- Split the zucchinis in half down the length of them, scoop out the middle of the zucchini using a melon baller, and discard the scooped middle part. Place the prepped zucchinis on a sheet pan, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the browned sausage, bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, garlic, chopped tomatoes, egg, minced parsley, and minced red onion. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, and mix it all together until well blended. Scoop this filling into the prepped zucchinis, and be generous about piling as much of the mixture in as you can. Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until lightly browned on top, and the zucchini is tender. Enjoy!
Copyright Notice: Fifteen Spatulas images and original content are copyright protected. Please do not publish these materials without prior permission.