Crispy Oven Roasted Chickpeas
Happy New Year!!!
I imagine by now you have all sorts of goals for the new year. What are your resolutions? I spent the holidays really reflecting on 2013 and my major goal for 2014 is to focus on joy, nurturing my soul, and taking care of myself.
It’s so easy to lose sight of those things, isn’t it? Everything is always go-go-go, and the mentality that there’s always something more important than taking care of ourselves is so commonplace. 2013 was a bit of a rough year, a year where I was forced to slow down and care for a really severe ruptured disk in my spine. My struggles (which unfortunately still continue) have reminded me more than ever how sacred the body is. And though I will always love and eat indulgent foods sometimes, most of the time I want to cook something healthy and delicious.
With that said, let’s start the new year off with one of my favorite healthy and delicious snacks…Crispy Oven Roasted Chickpeas:
The cool thing about roasted chickpeas is they take on a popcorn-esque snackiness to them. I can sit on the couch with a big bowl of these crispy chickpeas and munch, munch, munch, enjoying the smoky spicy saltiness, and the nuttiness that also comes from the roasting process.
To make them, start by rubbing the chickpea skins off the chickpeas, which is quickly done by rubbing the chickpeas with your fingertips in a bowl filled with water. The chickpea skins will float to the top, and you can pour them off to drain:
Spin the chickpeas and dry well with towels:
Add two tablespoons of olive oil for two 15oz cans of chickpeas:
And add some spices (I like cayenne pepper, paprika, cumin, and coriander):
Rub those all over the chickpeas along with some coarse sea salt:
Roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes until golden brown and crispy:
And they’re ready to eat!
Cheers to a joyful, prosperous, delicious 2014, my friends! Thank you for sharing your love of food with me, and let’s make some delicious things this year!
Spicy Smoky Crispy Roasted Chickpeas
- 2 15oz cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp coarse sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- The first step is optional, only if you’d like to remove the skins from the chickpeas: Place the chickpeas in a large bowl, and fill with water. Rub the chickpeas with your fingers gently to remove the skins. Since the skins float to the surface of the water, pour them off the side of the bowl. Drain the chickpeas and dry well with a towel.
- Toss to coat the chickpeas with the olive oil, spices, and sea salt. Roast on a sheet pan for 30-40 minutes, shaking the pan halfway through, until golden and crispy. They’re ready to eat! Enjoy immediately while they are crispy!