Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
[Updated from the archives with new photos and writing. Originally published October 2011]
I’ll go right out and say that these Cinnamon Roll Pancakes are pretty much dessert for breakfast, but there are definitely weekends for that, if you ask me. And I mean, cinnamon rolls…and pancakes…combined?!? Only good things can happen in that situation.
I first saw this recipe about 5 years ago on the blog Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts and instantly had to try them for myself. They are admittedly VERY messy to make, but you’re rewarded with something delicious, and I think there’s something very whimsical about them. You drop big swirls of cinnamon roll filling right onto the pancakes while they’re cooking, then drizzle them with a cream cheese frosting to serve. Though my usual pancake toppings are butter and pure maple syrup, it’s nice to have a change every once in a while.
To get started, let’s make the pancake batter. Whisk together the dry ingredients, which is flour, baking powder, and salt:
In a measuring cup, whisk to combine milk, an egg, and vegetable oil:
Pancake dry and wet components, done!
Make the cinnamon roll filling by combining melted butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon:
Whisk until relatively smooth:
Now let’s put everything together!
Add the measuring cup liquid to the dry ingredients:
Whisk together until the dry flour disappears, but making sure to leave the little lumps alone so you don’t overmix the pancake batter:
Drop ladlefuls of pancake batter onto a hot griddle, then when the pancakes start to form bubbles on the first side, drizzle on a swirl of the cinnamon filling:
I find it easiest to use a squeeze bottle, but if you don’t have one, simply use a spoon.
Flip the pancakes and finish cooking, until golden brown on both sides:
You will notice that the cinnamon sugar swirl spreads out and griddles into a crunchy, sweet caramelized “crust” for the pancakes.
Finally, whisk to combine softened cream cheese with butter, confectioner’s sugar, and vanilla:
Drizzle the cream cheese frosting on top of the pancakes before serving:
Enjoy, and have fun with this one!
I made a full video on how to make these that you can watch right here, and the full recipe is just below. Happy cooking!
Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
Fluffy pancakes with a cinnamon roll filling swirl, then topped with a cream cheese frosting. Perfect for an indulgent weekend brunch!
For the pancakes:
- 5 oz all purpose flour (1 cup)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 egg
For the Filling:
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
For the Glaze:
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Whisk to combine the flour, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk to combine the milk, vegetable oil, and egg. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and stir until the flour has disappeared, but there are still plenty of lumps.
- Make the filling by stirring to combine the melted butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Prepare the glaze by melting the butter and cream cheese together in the microwave. Stir in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Heat up a griddle over medium heat, and if desired, grease the pan with a little bit of butter. Use a 1/4 cup measuring scoop to portion out the pancakes. Once small bubbles start to appear on the surface, spoon over a tablespoon or so of the cinnamon swirl, in an outward circular motion from the center.
- Cook for another minute, then flip. Cook for one or two more minutes.
- Top the pancakes with the glaze, and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Dinners Dishes and Desserts.