California Cobb Salad
What’s the secret to a good salad?
…a handful of your favorite nuts?
Well, I do think all of those things can only make a salad better, but none of them can save a salad that’s wet and soggy.
What I’m saying is that the secret to a good salad is super dry greens.
If you don’t believe me, try it. Nothing ruins a salad more than a bunch of water making the dressing all watered down (see all the water in the above photo? That’s just from one head of lettuce).
So this is where my giveaway comes in to play, because you could either use 10 sheets of paper towel to dry your lettuce off, or you could use a salad spinner. I choose the latter, and one of you lucky readers is going to win this great tool:
While I do love a simple salad from time to time, sometimes you have to go all out and have a loaded salad, like a California Cobb.
I mean…blue cheese, bacon, chicken, avocado, hard boiled eggs, and tomatoes?! It’s a killer combination.
Before I go into how to win this OXO Salad Spinner, I have to say that I actually already had an OXO salad spinner before OXO sent these out as part of their blogger outreach program. I’m a big fan of OXO’s kitchen tools and no, they didn’t pay me to say that! In all of their products they actually think about design and use their brain power to fix potential problems that could come up for the cook. Growing up I had one of those pull-string design salad spinners and boy did that thing annoy me. OXO’s spinner uses a pump.
I was not given monetary compensation for this post, just given a salad spinner to give to one of my readers and one to test out. OXO provided both of these to me for free.
Update: the giveaway has ended. Thanks to those who participated!
And a big thanks to OXO for providing the goods!
Before you go through the recipe, here’s a video on how to dice the avocado for the salad:
California Cobb Salad
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 6 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 haas avocado, diced
- 1 cup cooked and diced chicken breast
- 1 ripe tomato, diced
- 2 oz blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt and pepper
- To prepare the hard boiled eggs, place the eggs into a saucepan, cover with cold water, and bring to a boil (with the lid on). Once it’s boiling, remove from the heat, and set a timer for 7 minutes. Drain and peel under cool running water, and slice.
- Whisk the olive oil, mustard, red wine vinegar, garlic clove, and a pinch of salt and pepper, until combined and emulsified.
- Place all the salad ingredients in a bowl and pour over the vinaigrette. Enjoy!