Odds are you’ve had a scone before.
But how about a savory scone?
Scones shouldn’t be limited to dried cranberries, orange zest, and cinnamon.
These have got crisp bacon, scallions, and cheddar cheese in them, and they ROCK.
And if you want to take them to the next level, add some sauteed jalapeno peppers. I do that half the time I make these.
Start by combining flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a big bowl, then stir in cheddar cheese, scallions, and bacon:
Work in butter until you get pea sized pieces of butter coated in the flour mixture. Make a well in the center and pour in the heavy cream:
It’s all ready to go into the oven! 20 minutes in and they’ll be crisp and flaky.
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 10 oz all purpose flour (2 cups)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 oz cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 5 tbsp butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup heavy cream (plus or minus a tablespoon)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet until crisp, then drain on a paper towel and let cool completely.
- Whisk to combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Stir in the cheddar, scallions, and bacon.
- Work the butter cubes in with your fingertips, until you get pea sized pieces of butter coated in the flour mixture. Make a well in the center and pour in the heavy cream.
- Stir to distribute (and do not overstir or the scones will get tough). The scones will be a little crumbly but should press together well.Turn the dough out onto a piece of parchment paper, and use your fingers to press it into a big rectangle. Then cut into triangles.
- Bake for 20 to 23 minutes, until the edges are crisp but the interior is still moist (the best way to tell is to taste). Enjoy, preferably while they're still warm.